Wednesday, June 3, 2020

In the Beginning...

Where to start... 

There are a lot of reasons to start a blog: food, fashion, politics, environmental causes, or just for fun. This is not one of those blogs. I've flirted with the idea of having a food blog and sharing my love of food and reviewing recipes but... I do not feel that I am the right person to take on that kind of mission. My writing has never been the greatest, but sometimes you need to just get words on paper (or on disc space). So I apologize in advance if this is all a little rough.

This is going to be more of my recollection and opinions of events and happenings in history. 2020 has been one heck of a ride for a lot of people. I have found myself taking a backseat and being drug through all the issues whether I want to or not.

So, a little about myself:

My name is Natalie. I am happily married, we own our own home, have myself some furbabies, and just hit the third decade on my life counter. I was raised on a farm in rural Missouri and enjoyed a pretty happy life. No traumatic events (besides falling off a horse and being stepped on when I was 11 or 12). Christian roots, giving me a strong moral bearing through all the events life has thrown at me. I have always had a love for animals, leading me to open my home to 3 snugly cats, 1 rescued hound dog, a smelly ferret, and a whole room of fish.

I cannot imagine my life having gone in any other direction. I am content where I have ended. If I had moved home right after college, I wouldn't have gotten 7 amazing years with some of the world's most endangered animals, married the love of my life who I had met in college, or be sitting here tonight writing this post. We all end up where we are through a continuous chain of cause and effect. If I had chosen to go to a different university I'd be living somewhere else and would have never met my husband. If I had selected a different degree field I may have never ended up getting an amazing internship that would turn into a career and fill almost a 3rd of my current years.

Life events have a way of making us forget who we are. Sometimes we fall in to the trap of raw emotions and a herd mentality, getting swept away with the media and jumping on the next hashtag trend. We all need to take a step back and assess the situation. How will you make an impact that will be remembered or noted in history? Most people will be a tiny blip on the timeline of humanity. Others will show up as a splash, creating ripples through time.

Think of a famous figure in history... Now, when did you first learn about them? Most historical figures are introduced to us when we are young, learning in school, written about in books. Who do we normally not recognize or even care to get to know when it comes to history? The writers, those who thought to save a recollection of the events and people. Someone recorded those stories and they have been able to be shared with us here in the future. A lot of what we know about various people and events is all from a point of view, someone else's perspective.

Everyone carries their own narrative about events, people, and culture. Down the road, the future generations will be looking back on this time and only have documents, archives and stories to really understand what was going on during this time. We should all be able to share just a glimpse of our perspective, our emotions during events, and especially how we felt we could make a difference.

Join me on my journey through history as I leave my record. Whether I get credit and remembered for it or I become one of the unknown authors, I want to do my part in recording history. 

What about you?

How will you fill Your Hole in History?

No comments:

Post a Comment